Tuesday, December 27, 2016

Stephanie Hollman Talks Conquering Domestic Violence and Enjoying Holidays with Children


CBSNews.com:
Having a place in “The Real Housewives of Dallas” cast has changed Stephanie Hollman’s world. The reality TV star grew up in a small sheltered town in Oklahoma and told CBS that she’s never experienced drama before the franchise -- and there’s tons to gossip about when the Lone Star state’s socialites come together. But when the cameras aren’t around, Hollman’s true passions shine. CBS spoke to Stephanie Hollman about how she’s tackling domestic violence.

How has being on “The Real Housewives of Dallas” changed your life?
It changed my life in every aspect. I’ve grown more in the past year and a half than I have in my whole life. I grew up very sheltered and I never experienced drama or conflict with other people. When you live in a small town, there’s only so many girls. You have to be kind to everyone because it is such a small town. 

Was there a particular moment on the show when you realized this is now your life?
Marie’s cocktail party when LeeAnne threw the glass. I thought, “Oh my goodness, this is not good.” That’s when it became real. She was upset at me and it scared me. I didn’t know how to take it and I didn’t know how to reconcile everything.  

What can you tell us about season 2?
It’s going to be great. We are a little over halfway done. I think going in for the second time you know what to expect. That can be a good and bad thing because it can be a little scary. The worst case scenario is that you’ll get some mean tweets. But I cannot wait! 

I know you’re really passionate about philanthropy. How did you get involved in that?
Before I met my husband [Travis], I worked in social services. I worked for a homeless pregnancy center in Oklahoma and that’s where I met a lot of my clients. Most of them left a violent relationship and needed to seek shelter for both them and their unborn babies. So I’ve always worked with women dealing with domestic violence. 

My passion really came after I met my husband and I had my first son. I decided I really wanted to be an advocate for domestic violence and have my family take a stand. I feel it’s something no one really wants to talk about. It’s not like being an advocate for breast cancer awareness where many people come together. Domestic violence is uncomfortable. With this opportunity, I want to be a voice and stand up. As a community, it’s something that we should not accept and not tolerate.

I want my boys to know they have to be respectful and kind. That situation is not okay for them or any of their friends to be in. 
RELATED:  'Real Housewives of Dallas' star Stephanie Hollman: 'It was scary' filming with LeeAnne Locken

No comments:

Post a Comment